True Love

In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.

1 John 4:9

What is Romance P.S.?

Romance P.S. is an entertainment blog about two of my very favorite things — movies and books.

The title actually stands for Romance with the page and screen so it's not just about romance alone but all kinds of movies and books. Though I will confess that my favorites always seem to be romances in some way ;)


Get a FREE 30 day Trial of Prime

* Instantly watch over 40,000 movies and TV episodes

* Borrow Kindle books FREE

*Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs

* Get unlimited FREE two-day shipping (no minimum order size)




Follow Romance P.S.


            



Follow on Bloglovin

Link to Romance P.S.

Download the button above and link to
http://www.romanceps.blogspot.com


If you contact me and let me know that you have linked to RPS I will add a link to your blog on my blog list!

My Blog List



June 27, 2014

Movie Review: Unfinished Sky

Stars:  William McInnes and Monic Hendrickx
Directed by: Peter Duncan

Blurb: The film is a story about an Outback farmer (William McInnes) who takes in an Afghani woman (Monic Hendrickx) after she escapes from a brothel. The film is a romantic drama but also takes on many hard topics - human trafficking and the sex trade.

Review: I saw this movie first on Amazon Prime.I found it just by browsing one day and thought I would give it try after reading the blurb and watching the trailer. I am so glad I stumbled across this gem of a film. After I finished it I had to go right out and get it on DVD for my collection. I LOVED it! It is the hauntingly beautiful story of an Afghan woman Tahmeena who escapes a brothel where she had been kidnapped and sold into sex slavery and stumbles bloody and broken through the outback and onto the sheep farm of John Woldring. John is a broken man himself who has been little more than a recluse since the death of his wife. He takes the woman in and the two of them start to try to piece together their broken lives. It's even more interesting that Tahmeena doesn't speak english. So the two have to find ways of communicating when they don't know the other's language which ends up having some really funny and sweet moments because of miscommunications between the two. 

Can these two strangers who couldn't be from more different backgrounds put the pieces of their fractured lives back together again with a little help from the other? Or will the evil men that kidnapped Tahmeena finish them off before they get the chance?

This diamond from down under totally blew me away! I loved it so much I hated to see it end. It is the remake of a Dutch film called the Polish Bride. After I saw this one I wanted to see if the first was anywhere near as good as this one was. In my humble opinion Unfinished Sky eclipses the original version in every way possible. Though the story is very similar there are very big differences in the two versions with Unfinished Sky being the much more hopeful and beautiful version. Another interesting fact is that Monic Hendrickx played the female lead in both versions. That doesn't happen to often and it was really cool to see her play for all intents and purposes the same part nine years apart and it seem so different in so many ways. There is interviews and behind the scenes footage on the DVD as extras where Monic talks about playing the part twice and why she did. It was very cool to hear the insight on that and why this film strikes such a nerve with so many people. 
The film was nominated for 10 Australian Film Institute Awards at its 2008 ceremony. It won three, including Best ScreenplayBest Actress (Monic Hendrickx) and Best Actor (William McInnes) and it deserved everyone of them they did a outstanding job.
This to me is a little known movie treasure and I'm so glad I found it and was able to add it to my collection.

It would have gotten a perfect 5 were it not for 2 tiny things...it needed just a touch more romance to be perfect and one thing involving the dog that I won't mention as it would be a spoiler. 




Rated: 
Some language and violence


Buy your copy here:




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful! No foul language of any kind will be permitted! If your comment contains cursing it will be deleted and could cause you to be banned from all further comments.