True Love

In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.

1 John 4:9

What is Romance P.S.?

Romance P.S. is an entertainment blog about two of my very favorite things — movies and books.

The title actually stands for Romance with the page and screen so it's not just about romance alone but all kinds of movies and books. Though I will confess that my favorites always seem to be romances in some way ;)


Get a FREE 30 day Trial of Prime

* Instantly watch over 40,000 movies and TV episodes

* Borrow Kindle books FREE

*Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs

* Get unlimited FREE two-day shipping (no minimum order size)




Follow Romance P.S.


            



Follow on Bloglovin

Blog Archive

Link to Romance P.S.

Download the button above and link to
http://www.romanceps.blogspot.com


If you contact me and let me know that you have linked to RPS I will add a link to your blog on my blog list!

My Blog List



August 8, 2014

Interview with author Paula Quinn! Plus a giveaway!

  
Today we have the outstanding Paula Quinn joining us! Hello Paula! It’s so good to have you here today.


Paula: Hello Jenn, it’s a pleasure to be here. Thanks so much for having me!

JennJ: Paula could you please start by tell us a little about yourself for those who maybe aren’t familiar with you and your books?

Paula: I’d love to J I live in the busy city of Manhattan in NY with my three great kids and six little Chihuahuas. I love long walks and all things medieval. I have a deep, loving relationship with Jesus and I love writing!

JennJ: Could you please tell us about your latest release?
 
Paula: My March 2014 release, The Seduction of Miss Amelia Bell features Edmund MacGregor, whom many of you first met as the toddler from Conquered By A Highlander who stole the hero’s heart. Edmund’s all grown up and has become a loyal patriot to Scotland. In order to stop the signing of the Acts of Union that would unite England and Scotland, he kidnaps the Duke of Queensberry’s niece. He doesn’t anticipate falling in love with the accident-prone Miss Amelia Bell. His cause for Scotland becomes a fight for love that will push everything he believes in to the limit.

JennJ: You write so passionately about your highlanders and Scotland, have you ever been to Scotland in real life?

Paula: No, I’ve never been to Scotland, mostly do to my fear of flying. I know, I know more people die in cars a year. I have a millions excuses, but I will go. It’s one thing I WILL do one of these days. I’ll let you all know when! J

JennJ: Was it always your dream to become an author or what did you want to be when you were growing up?

Paula: I always wanted to be an author. At fifteen I wrote short stories, poems, and finally my first full-length book when I was about eighteen. It was terrible, of course, but I loved writing it and I knew that someday I would write for a living. Of course, life got in the way and it wasn’t until many years and a family later that my first book LORD OF DESIRE was published. I still love writing. I once read, “authors don’t choose to write, writing chooses them.” It’s true. No matter what other careers I’ve had, I always came back to writing.

JennJ: Who are some of your favorite authors?

Paula: Let’s see, in romance I love Julie Garwood and Lynn Kurland, Teresa Medeiros, Sue-Ellen Welfonder, Karen Hawkins, and Monica McCarty. I also LOVE Sci/Fi. Fantasy books and some of my favorite authors in that genre are, Guy Gavriel Kay (a true genius),  David Eddings, and Raymond E. Feist.
   
JennJ: What are a few of your all time favorite books (can’t have just one if your like me lol) as a reader?

Paula: First and foremost, the Bible, read it everyday, then The Lions of Al-Rassan and The Summer Tree by Guy Gavriel Kay, Anything by Julie Garwood, If I Had You & Stardust of Yesterday by Lynn Kurland, and The Belgariad series by David Eddings.

JennJ: What kind of research do you do for your books? Do you enjoy the research process or no?

Paula: I do a ton of research. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don’t. It can be overwhelming and you really have to know when enough is enough or else you risk filling your book with historical facts rather than plot line and characters. For me, the best part of research is discovering new things from history. I love history. I really do. The worst part is getting lost in the world wide web of information. I did months and months of research for my October release, The Wicked Ways of Alexander Kidd. Researching, not only everything about pirates and what they wore, ate, drank, how they fought, the ships they sailed, how they sailed them, ports of call, as well as what all the parts of a brig are called. Also, because the book is set in the 1700’s, I had to research clothing, food, fragrances, etc. in places like eighteenth century Portugal, the West Indies, and Madagascar. It’s a lot of work but well worth it if it makes the book more realistic.

JennJ: Do you listen to music while you are writing, and if so what music is it?

Paula: Oh absolutely. I can’t write without it. Each book has a different playlist, but I mostly listen to celtic music and love songs. I have all the music listed for each book on the Bonus Features page on my website.

JennJ: If you could be any of your characters – Who would you be? And why?

Paula: That’s a hard one, Jenn! I think it would have to be Kate Campbell from Laird of the Mist because, well, she’s married to Callum MacGregor and he’s my favorite hero. She’s also the mom of all my other wonderful heroes and heroines. Yeah, I’d want to be Kate. J

JennJ: If you could travel back in time to any period and place where would it be and when? (And do you think you would have any trouble blending in, in that different time?)

Paula: I’d love to go back to ancient Jerusalem and hear Jesus speak, touch Him, thank Him. After that, maybe back to 1066 when William the Conqueror landed at Hastings.

I think it would be very difficult to blend in at first. No coffee, no comfy bed.  Ugh. I’d probably want to go home quick. But after a month or two I think I could learn to blend in and truly love when I was.

JennJ: Is there a genre of book and/ or setting or both that you would like to write but haven't yet?

Paula:  Yes, I love paranormal romance. Fantasy was my first love as a kid. Everything I read was about dragons and fairies. The only thing missing was romance. I was very happy when the paranormal romance genre came onto the literary scene.  Also Christian romance. I’d love to write about my faith.

JennJ: I know many authors write under pen names and pseudonyms do you or have you ever done so? And if so what were the names so we can enjoy your other writings as well.

Paula: I haven’t used a pseudonym yet, but I think it would be fun!

JennJ: What characteristics make up the perfect hero and heroine to you and why?
  
Paula: For me, the characteristics that make great heroes and heroines are compassion and honesty. They must be loyal, capable and decisive and they can’t take themselves too seriously. A worthy hero or heroine loves with a passion and is never ashamed to admit it.

JennJ: Do you find it difficult at times to write love scenes, how do you handle those?

Paula: Love scenes aren’t my favorite things to write.  I mean, there are only so many ways to describe making love. I’d much rather write a battle scene.

JennJ: And if you had the chance which character or characters from your own books would you like to have dinner with?

Paula: Ah, this is a hard one. I’d love to meet them all. I’d love to have dinner with a bunch of rowdy Highlanders who bang their fists on the table and whose laughter fills the halls. I’d also love to see Maggie, Callum’s sister from Laird of the Mist, scold them all for eating meat!
  
JennJ: Since Romance P.S. stands for romance with the page and screen can you tell us some of your favorite movies?

Paula: Oh, I have plenty J King Arthur. Gorgeous men of honor and faith and who are so skillful with their weapons it’s almost a pleasure to watch them fight. I love The Count of Monte Cristo, brilliant story, beautiful Jim Caviezel.  Love X Men movies, as well as Men in Black, A Knight’s Tale, Son Of God, Wuthering Heights, All About Eve,, LadyHawk. I could go on and on J

JennJ: Do you ever use real life actors or actresses as how you see your characters when you write in your head? I know I personally see them as the main characters a lot in the books I read when I’m reading them so I was just wondering if authors do that as well when they are writing them?

Paula: Oh yes, I do it all the time. I’m a visual person and I need inspiration in faces. Some famous aka are Gerard Butler, Michael Fassbender, Josh Holloway, and Dustin Clare, to name a few. I have all my inspirational faces on my website under Bonus Features if you want to check them out.

JennJ: What would be the best way for readers contact you? Do you have a website? Email address? Facebook page? Blog? Twitter? Group?

Paula: Readers can contact me through my website at www.paulaquinn.com  Or they can visit my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fans-of-Paula-Quinn/336691429368, I’m also on Twitter @Paula_Quinn, and you can check out my fun Pinterest page @ http://www.pinterest.com/quinnsromance

JennJ: Paula thank you so much for taking the time to do an interview with me. I truly appreciate it. It’s an honor to have you as my guest. J

Paula: Jenn, it was my pleasure! Thank you for such a fun interview, I really enjoyed it!


Remember to leave a question or comment for Paula she will be checking in to answer them! AND Paula has graciously offered to give away to one lucky winner a signed copy of her latest release The Seduction of Miss Amelia Bell!


Enter for your chance to win this great book below!

a Rafflecopter giveaway








4 comments:

  1. Great interview, Paula. I love your books!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paula, if you decide to go to Scotland, I'd be happy to accompany you and give you a little support. I don't mind flying and I will hold your hand if that will help. That is one place I would love to visit, due in part to the wonderful stories written by you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Riley, I always thought it would be especially nice to go to Scotland with some readers. We'd have a blast!

      Delete

Please be respectful! No foul language of any kind will be permitted! If your comment contains cursing it will be deleted and could cause you to be banned from all further comments.