True Love

In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.

1 John 4:9

What is Romance P.S.?

Romance P.S. is an entertainment blog about two of my very favorite things — movies and books.

The title actually stands for Romance with the page and screen so it's not just about romance alone but all kinds of movies and books. Though I will confess that my favorites always seem to be romances in some way ;)


Get a FREE 30 day Trial of Prime

* Instantly watch over 40,000 movies and TV episodes

* Borrow Kindle books FREE

*Unlimited, ad-free streaming of over a million songs

* Get unlimited FREE two-day shipping (no minimum order size)




Follow Romance P.S.


            



Follow on Bloglovin

Link to Romance P.S.

Download the button above and link to
http://www.romanceps.blogspot.com


If you contact me and let me know that you have linked to RPS I will add a link to your blog on my blog list!

My Blog List



August 27, 2015

Downing Romance Novels


Romance Novels = Bodice Rippers: I don’t think so!

Today I’m getting on my soapbox about a subject that I have heard time and time again and one that never fails to tick me off! Let’s see if you all agree…

Ok every romance reader has heard this sentence or a variance of it sometime in their life… “Romance! That’s not literature, that’s not a real book. All those books are is sex, sex, sex. There is no substance to the stories.” Ok first off let me say I myself have heard this that romances aren’t “real books” many times. Ah excuse me but I strongly disagree! Yes they are! When these people say this stuff I’m sure I look at them like they have two heads. Then I quickly ask if they have even truly ever sat down and read one to know what they are talking about before they pass judgment on an entire genre of books.

Now what always blows my mind is a lot of these same people that voice these pious judgments have no problem at all reading Shakespeare who wrote about incestuous relationships, suspense or mysteries where many of the plots revolve around murder and theft, sometimes rape and other various crimes and so on. Ah ok so reading about
a person making love is offensive and vulgar,  but someone shooting, beating, stabbing or running over another human being is not to them?  That just blows my mind! Somehow in their mind sex is more taboo to read about than someone getting their throat silt or worse. I just have never understood nor will I ever understand that.

Yes romances usually do have sex in them,  but any book that even remotely speaks of life in any realistic format does in some form right or at least in a small reference. Love is spoken of in the Bible and so is sex many times.

 Unless someone has taken a vow of celibacy most humans do get involved in romantic relationships sometime in their lives. And if your lucky and find the right one…marriage and a family is a huge part of life that many enjoy! It’s one of the cornerstones of our existences, and it’s a blessing there is nothing ugly about it, unless someone chooses to make it so.

Now I already hear some of those people saying but some are about tawdry affairs etc… Ok I’ll grant that let’s face it…in life there are always going to be a few that will take things to far and do things that aren’t right or that they shouldn’t have. But again that’s just the way things are in this world unfortunately. But just like not all people will commit crimes not all romances are cheap and tawdry with no other context but sex.
So why must they lump all romances that way when only a few out there may be that way?

I’m not saying that I agree with all the forms of sex that appear in some romances. I’ll say straight out I don’t.  I don’t like all of the romances and erotica books out there myself, but I don’t go trash talking an entire genre or the people that enjoy them because I don’t like them. If I don’t like a book or a genre I just simply don’t read them myself. What is my cup of tea isn’t necessarily someone else’s. That’s just life and there is nothing wrong with that. But to say or suggest that romances and the people that read them are somehow inferior in some way is just insulting, and I think extremely uninformed as well.

Many romances have amazing story lines! Some historicals have amazing details about history and the times and events of the era it was written about. I have learned a lot about the way people lived in the Regency periods, the Civil War, the American west, the American and French Revolutions, and many other times romances I have read.

That knowledge fed my previous interest in History and led me to further research and  wanting to learn more and more about the way people lived, worked, and died in the past and see how certain movements came about etc.

Some romances are totally fictional like the very popular romances about vampires, werewolves etc. (which I personally find very fascinating and read a lot as well.) And it provides a getaway from the trivial and boring and oftentimes stressful trials of daily life for me and many other people. Why is that such a bad thing?

I have read literature all across the board, the classics, mystery, nonfiction, general fiction, westerns, and so on. But out of all of the genres I have read romance has always been my personal favorite. Why? Because when I read I like to read about people and their lives interesting events and relationships, love, and for the book to have a happy ending. I read to escape life to relax and enjoy a good story and let’s face it in these troubled times everyone could use a lot more happy endings!


So when someone looks down their noses and calls romances bodice rippers,I just smile and say “I don’t think so! And maybe if you read one every once in a while you would be a happier person.”


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful! No foul language of any kind will be permitted! If your comment contains cursing it will be deleted and could cause you to be banned from all further comments.